Now this all makes sense except for one tiny little detail.
I had already changed the file system type to ext3, and have files on it
now. with the ability to set permissions and ownership as well. I've got
about 2GBs of data on there I can access once it's mounted.

even though I've already changed and formated it in the "mounting
points" CC, could it still be remenant of the Vfat filesystem? I've got
it setting permissions independantly, and running my programs fine.

NB... (I just wish it would mount properly w/ mount...)