Hi Larry,

        Thanks for your reply. Are you saying that the initrd image is run
before the cards SCSI bios gets loaded I hadn't thought of this; but
then what is the difference between powering off at the switch and
pulling the mains plug. If I shut down via the PC switch (its an ATX
system) and start up again on the switch I get the problem if I pull the
mains plug for ten seconds or so and then power up by the switch I don't
get the problem. I only installed the SCSI drive afterward when I
installed 8.0 when I installed 8.1 it was there already so the installer
should have seen it and hopefully configured the system correctly. I'm
sorry to contradict you, I should have been more concise in my
description of the problem, my apologies. I will investigate the initrd
route but honestly don't think it is the cause unless somehow it is
remaining in memory, is this conceivable?

                                Regards,

Colin Close