Larry Sword wrote:

> "C.H. Close" wrote:
> >
> > Hi Larry,
> >
> >         Thanks for your reply. Are you saying that the initrd image is run
> > before the cards SCSI bios gets loaded I hadn't thought of this; but
> > then what is the difference between powering off at the switch and
> > pulling the mains plug. If I shut down via the PC switch (its an ATX
> > system) and start up again on the switch I get the problem if I pull the
> > mains plug for ten seconds or so and then power up by the switch I don't
> > get the problem. I only installed the SCSI drive afterward when I
> > installed 8.0 when I installed 8.1 it was there already so the installer
> > should have seen it and hopefully configured the system correctly. I'm
> > sorry to contradict you, I should have been more concise in my
> > description of the problem, my apologies. I will investigate the initrd
> > route but honestly don't think it is the cause unless somehow it is
> > remaining in memory, is this conceivable?
> >
> >                                 Regards,
> >
> > Colin Close
>
> Hello Colin
>
> No, not exactly. The standard bootup sequence of hardware occurs as on
> all motherboards. If the BIOS is set to PNP OS =no then the BIOS will
> set all cards as to IRQ's etc. The system OS will take over after all
> the hardware is initialized by the MB and BIOS.
>
> The initrd image:
>
>       "mkinitrd creates file system images which are suitable  for
>        use  as Linux initial ramdisk (initrd) images. Such images
>        are often used for preloading  the  block  device  modules
>        (such as IDE, SCSI or RAID) which are needed to access the
>        root filesystem. mkinitrd automatically loads IDE modules,
>        all scsi_hostadapter entries and all modules in a probeall
>        scsi_hostadapter .. line in  /etc/modules.conf,  and  raid
>        modules  if  the system's root partition is on raid, which
>        makes it simple to build and  use  kernels  using  modular
>        device drivers.
>
>        Any  module  options  specified  in  /etc/modules.conf are
>        passed to the modules as they are loaded  by  the  initial
>        ramdisk."
>
> All ATX motherboards, if memory serves me correctly, retain power after
> the pc computer switch is pressed to shutdown the machine. The important
> point is that power remains to the motherboard and to the pc cards. Many
> cards, if not all, will not reset their initialized state until all
> power has been removed via the power supply, and if the computer power
> supply has no switch, by pulling the power cable from the power strip or
> wall socket. This is the reason most motherboard manuals cautions to
> shut the power switch or pull the power cord prior to removing or
> inserting any card or memory into the board.
> The short answer is the pci cards are not being re-initializes by the pc
> switch after running Windows or Linux. The power in most cases must be
> [...]

Hi Larry,

                Ok I think I see where you are coming from now. What is actually
happening is that the Mandrake scsi driver is changing the cards
configuration to one that works when the system is running but does not
when the system is warm booted. When I boot MS the configuration is not
changed and hence I can reboot to either OS without removing the mains
plug. If however I boot to Mandrake and then warm reboot back to
Mandrake the odd config is still there so the card does not start up
properly, removing the power resets the card to the defaults which then
allows proper booting. So I think I am right in saying that he driver is
the cause of the problem.

This said that makes the driver loaded by initrd the likely culprit.
There is an alternate older driver for aic7xxx called surprise, surprise
aic7xxx_old. I suspected that this older driver might do the trick (the
card bios is dated 1996). I changed the probeall and alias statements in
modules.conf to reflect the change that I wanted and ran initrd using my
latest kernel build (which boots like lightning compared with the
original). I copied the image to my /boot directory using the Mandrake
name structure with my identifier at the end and then changed the
initrd.img symlink to reflect the changed image. I shutdown and pulled
the power plug and rebooted. The system came up fine so I warm booted
and low and behold problem solved!!!!

Grateful thanks for filling in the missing links to help me solve this
problem. To be honest I've been a bit frightened of initrd just in case
I broke something irrevocably but it's like most things in Linux if you
make sure you know whats likely to happen before you jump in most times
it works.

Hope you had a great Christmas Day and a happy new year to you and
yours.

                        Regards,

Colin Close