Hi all,

It seems to be working now, I moved the PC to a different room, and a
different monitor, and low and behold, I have a display..

Is there a way to tell if the card is using all its ram? (apart from testing
it at high res with true color.)

Just want to make sure its all working..

I was going to install the invidia 3D drivers for kicks, but I need to
install a supermount safe kernel at some stage, and that would break the
drivers wouldn't it?

If I load the drivers for 2.4.8 and then load 2.4.16-11 or something, would
it be a good idea to use rpm to remove the old nvidia drivers, and compile
new ones? or just compile and install the new ones and install them over the
old ones???

Sorry for being a pain tonight, I was sure it was a conflict, I just wasn't
expecting one that included the monotor, especially when I had tried it with
the lowest common denominator as far as monitors go, and several others.

weird stuff hey!

Thanks for all your help guys..

I do have one more question I'd like to ask though..

Here is what I need on a server I am doing for a guy.

working GUI, (got that using FBdev) (its the netvista)
Samba for XP and 2000 (can get that off cooker ok.)
Latest Postfix to use with amavisd and filescan. (can get and install that
too.)

The bit I still have to work out is the kernel.

It needs to be safe with supermount, stable and solid, and hopefully with
better memory management then 2.4.8
and I need the matching headers, iptables, and initscripts...

unfortunatly, short of getting all of the latest off cooker, I am alittle
unsure what to do here..
I don't know what iptables goes with what kernel, and what initscripts...
and I don't know if its safe to update to the cooker glibc in order to get
the headers.
Its all very confusing..... :-)

I got myself into trouble just installing cooker stuff in the past (rpmdrake
is a case in point.)
So I don't want to clag up this server like I did my own home one.

Personally, I think Mandrake should have waited for the above criteria
before releasing 8.1. but thats just me. :-)

any suggestions anyone???

rgds

Frank