F> Hi all,

F> It seems to be working now, I moved the PC to a different room, and a
F> different monitor, and low and behold, I have a display..

F> Is there a way to tell if the card is using all its ram? (apart from testing
F> it at high res with true color.)

F> Just want to make sure its all working..

   If you see display, it is working :) If you dont see bubbles,
   strange prints, ugly pics randomly acting, or a print left behind
   the mouse cursor, around, after a period of using it ( 10-15 mins
   maybe ? ), the video ram seems to be used fine. If you want to test
   32MB, you must run a high-end 3D game so that it will have to load
   lots off textures. And of course, all should be done with nvidia
   drivers.

   To be honest, if you dont see bubbles around, this memory test is
   unnecessary. You can even comment out that line which defines your
   cards memory.

F> I was going to install the invidia 3D drivers for kicks, but I need to
F> install a supermount safe kernel at some stage, and that would break the
F> drivers wouldn't it?

   Not unless you insist on rpms.

F> If I load the drivers for 2.4.8 and then load 2.4.16-11 or something, would
F> it be a good idea to use rpm to remove the old nvidia drivers, and compile
F> new ones?

   Does not matter if you remove the old rpms or not. All up to you.
   You dont "need to" I can say.

F> or just compile and install the new ones and install them over the
F> old ones???

   Forget the rpms. Just download the kernel tar.gz ones and install
   them. It is not hard ! Then when you install a new kernel, install
   the drivers again when you boot with that kernel, and voila ! It is
   there all the time. Even if you change back to the old kernel, it
   will be waiting for you there.

   If you prefer, you can use rpm of glx drivers, it does not make
   difference. Though you will have to force the glx rpm to install.

F> Sorry for being a pain tonight, I was sure it was a conflict, I just wasn't
F> expecting one that included the monotor, especially when I had tried it with
F> the lowest common denominator as far as monitors go, and several others.

F> weird stuff hey!

F> Thanks for all your help guys..

F> I do have one more question I'd like to ask though..

F> Here is what I need on a server I am doing for a guy.

F> working GUI, (got that using FBdev) (its the netvista)
F> Samba for XP and 2000 (can get that off cooker ok.)
F> Latest Postfix to use with amavisd and filescan. (can get and install that
F> too.)

F> The bit I still have to work out is the kernel.

F> It needs to be safe with supermount, stable and solid, and hopefully with
F> better memory management then 2.4.8
F> and I need the matching headers, iptables, and initscripts...

F> unfortunatly, short of getting all of the latest off cooker, I am alittle
F> unsure what to do here..
F> I don't know what iptables goes with what kernel, and what initscripts...
F> and I don't know if its safe to update to the cooker glibc in order to get
F> the headers.
F> Its all very confusing..... :-)

   I cant say glibc is good or not, but I can say you dont need it.
   Do it this way, in turn, "without using rpmdrake" ! Download the
   necessary files manually.

   rpm -Uvh --force iptables*
   rpm -Uvh initscripts*    ( and whatever it asks to be updated.if it
                              says it needs kernel, dont care what it
                              says)
   rpm -ivh kernel*

   I did it like this, working fine out here. Dont forget to install
   nvidia-kernel.tar.gz  file (whatever name it has) after you install
   the new kernel.

F> I got myself into trouble just installing cooker stuff in the past (rpmdrake
F> is a case in point.)
F> So I don't want to clag up this server like I did my own home one.

   Thats why I dont use rpmdrake for cooker updates :)

F> Personally, I think Mandrake should have waited for the above criteria
F> before releasing 8.1. but thats just me. :-)

F> any suggestions anyone???

   How about "linux rullaz" ? :)

F> rgds

F> Frank