Ok, a little more information:

running cdrecord -scanbus:

> #> cdrecord -scanbus
> Cdrecord 1.10 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg
> Schilling
> cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you
> are root.

#> cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:

<other devices removed for clarity>

Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
  Vendor: YAMAHA   Model: CRW8424S         Rev: 1.0j
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
<other deviced removed for clarity>

Ok, it's there.

I can mount the device with a regular CD installed with no problem, but
cdrecord won't recognise it. And again: It used to work.

I'd really appreciate some advise on this one!

--
Ric Tibbetts

Linux registration number: 55684
If you want to help advertise Linux - point your friends to
http://counter.li.org/