Ric, grab the cdwriter howto and extract the test script and modify/run
it and see what it shows.  I still think you are missing some modules -
I believe not all not all the ones normally loaded are ide specific, but
sit on top of the scsi layer (which may be real scsi or ide-scsi.  The
test script should find and load the modules as needed.

BillK