I've been lurking and studying this thread since it started.  As a seasoned
Unix sysadmin (12+ years) I can't say this enough:  CLI-phobic users are the
sole reason for a system administrator's existence.  Period.

The unrestrained snobbish rudeness of a couple of the people who have been
commenting on this thread is misguided.  Mr. Thompson stated on a few
occasions that he is perfectly capable of running his systems from the
command line.  His premise is that in order for Linux to gain access to more
desktops, GUIs must be easier to use and more comprehensive.

It's a valid premise, and is not something to be brushed aside with the
rampant conceited elitism of the afore mentioned posters.  It belongs on
*all* the lists, and the "experts" would do well to heed it.  There's a hell
of a lot of work being done on the GUIs specifically to make Linux accessable
to user-level skill sets.

Those posters too wrapped up in their own "expertise" to contribute something
useful to the thread should either check their egos at the door and start
over or disengage.  I would also recommend that they take the time to study
the System Administrator's Guild Code of Ethics, particularly Canon 3.

And we should all be mindful that pointing our noses at the sky exposes
our chins to the knock-out punch.

Mike