On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Tim Holmes wrote:

> There are quite a number of differences between BSD and Mandrake.
>
> For one, BSD isn't Linux.  It's more UNIX if you have to classify it,
> but BSD is, well, BSD.  Yeah, they all move along the same lines with
> the kernel, but it's closer to UNIX then it is Linux.  A lot of people
> say BSD is a scaled down UNIX.

Cool, I guess FreeBSD finally was able to pay for the "Unix" moniker.
I've always found it amazing that some big companies can purchase a
license, and no matter for deviant their OS is, they can claim to be
Unix.

> Linux has gone and created things like /etc/rc.d/init.d/ for users to
> make it easier more "intuative" to restart services etc;.  BSD has
> somethings that are like that, but basically stick with the regular
> means of starting up processes and starting them.  However, check out
> /usr/share/etc/rc.d for a list of scripts that do things like
> /etc/init.d/network start.

I agree -- I do find the Linux system more intuitive. There are
differences among the distributions though. In fact, I'm at this moment
trying to build a new distribution and sorting out the init scripts to
use.

> FreeBSD is a true 128 bit OS.  Others claim they are, but not to the
> true extent.  BSD is very robust and is frankly a warrior.  It can take
> the same hardware a Linux OS has, and handle much more stress.

Is FreeBSD 128bit? Can you explain what that means? Is it running on
IA-64 or similar processors or does that matter?  What other processors
does FreeBSD run on? I would enjoy loading it on one of the Itaniums
here to see how it stacks up.

> Recent, professional tests, we've tried to build and maintain a Linux
> box that every 15 minutes or so, xinet would crash/restart.  The server
> was basically used for mail server, webserver, IMAP server.  Same
> hardware working with the same servers, including FTP, webmail, and
> others, took the load and is now going to be taking on more tasks.

Hmmm... There may be something hosed with your xinetd configuration. I
can help you tune it if you'd like. I've run Linux with thousands of
connections per hour using xinetd without any stability problems. What
sort of load/hardware/kernel revision were you using?

> FreeBSD, specifically, is used at a lot of ISPs.  Webservers, DNS
> servers, mail servers, and more.
>
> Yes, Linux can do well in that platform, but for after some hefty
> configurations, and rebuild kernels.
>
> FreeBSD kernel is very easily rebuilt.  And reboots (which you should
> never have to do.) in about 25 seconds.  That's shutdown, then booted
> to a prompt.  I don't remember EVER seeing a Linux box shutdown in that
> amount of time, let alone reboot.

The Linux kernel is also pretty easy to rebuild. If you need help with
it, I have a guide at:
  http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/kernel.html

You can also do a rebuild of new sources with your defalult
configurations with maybe five commands.

It can down quickly; but as you know, the shutdown time depends upon
what's been started up. The main problem I have with many distributions
(Mandrake included) is that many unneeded services are enabled by
default. This has gotten much better than before, though. I understand
the reasoning from an ease-of-use perspective, but firmly believe that
if a person wants to load a particular protocol/service, she should have
enough knowledge to turn it on herself. FreeBSD, by default, starts fewer
services and thus is faster to shutdown. In my case it doesn't matter
a bit. My machines run for months at a time and a minute here or there
is inconsequential.

As for slow shutdowns, verify that your DNS configuration is good. The
usual suspects (and this applies to Solaris, BSD/OS, etc) is often NFS
problems or misconfigurations.

> I know quite a number of people that use FreeBSD as their
> router/firewall.  It's great for that.  Does a lot better at that then
> Linux.  A lot of people have FreeBSD on a floppy, boot the server, and
> there you go with your firewall and router.

The FreeBSD TCP/IP stack has a good reputation. I once used it for my
website and had absolutely no complaints. However, can you explain how
it's better than ipchains or iptables? Please be as technical as you'd
like; in fact, I would prefer it... :)

BTW, Linux also has a router on a floppy. I've booted it once or twice,
mostly at customer sites when demonstrating routing.

> FreeBSD, right up the the most recent release, 4.4, will run on any
> hardware.  P100's and slower, no problem.  Is it even possible to
> install Mandrake 8.1 or RedHat 7.x on anything that slow?  (IT may be
> possible, I've never heard it being done, or the machine being usable.)

I've installed RedHat 7.2 on a Dell Inspiron P100/64M. It runs well as a
router/firewall/http/DNS server.  Mandrake 8.0 powers my CVS, MySQL, NFS
and Samba servers on a similar machine.  Most Linuxes will run fine on
older machines; of course, no matter if you use FreeBSD or Linux, if you
install Enlightenment or KDE, you will have performance issues. What
sort of installation are you using? Did you choose a server or
workstation configuration?