Jason Guidry wrote:
> type Ctrl-Alt-Fx where x is a number 1-6.  this will bring you to one of the 6 text
>only cosoles.  hit Ctrl-Alt-F9 to get back to X.

Jason (or anybody else),

Does that work for you in Mandrake 8.1?  Curious because it does not for
me after my first (partially??) successful installation of 8.1.  It
always worked for me in 7.2.

When I do press <ctrl><alt>1 (thru 6), the screen blanks momentarily,
then whatever was displayed on the X window appears, but as a dead
screen -- mouse won't move, can't type.  If I then press <ctrl><alt>7, I
get back to the real X window (with a working mouse and keyboard).

I'm looking for confirmation that the behavior I'm seeing is not
intentional before I reinstall (or try to find a way to fix the problem
without reinstalling -- any suggestions?).

Randy Kramer