Originally to: All

This is a MIME-formatted message.  If you see this text it means that your
E-mail software does not support MIME-formatted messages.

--=_tcob1.net-7239-1008635602-0001-2

I know I'll take some flack over this one....since it doesn't use MDK

The best luck I have had was to dig up a 486 (or if you like, early
pentium), get two older network cards (ones that have DOS software to
configure I/O and IRQ's), and go get Eigerstein

http://lrp.steinkuehler.net/DiskImages/Eiger/EigerStein.htm

Read other pages at the site for an explanation of set-up.

SUMMARY:
This allows you to set up a router/firewall that boots from 1 floppy
disk. You can make extra copies of the disk once you have the
configuration you need, and you don't need an HDD. Once the system is
running, you can remove the disk. In the remote chance that some hacker
manages to compromise your router, you just reboot to reset everything
back to normal. There is no disk to which they can save files changes.
My installation at home gets a Dynamic IP from my DSL provider, and
dishes out Private IP's (192.168.x.x) on the inside. Once I set that up
early last year, the only maintenance has been a couple reboots due to
power interruptions. A second reset is usually required because my
router comes back up quicker than my DSL service.

I have tested this configuration against several security sites, and
come out looking pretty darn good!

Ken

"Nathan A. Smith" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of questions for you mandrake experts.  I have a home
> network setup with a Linux box (using Mandrake 8.0) as the
> server/gateway.  Due to the change with AT&T I had to install dhcp
> (client) on the server to get things working.  This broke a couple of
> things I had setup -- specifically, Iptable/firewall settings.  So I
> would now like to fix server.  The things I need to correct are:
>
> 1) I would like to move the all the computers from static ip address to
> dhcp.  This would mean that the server would need to be both a client
> (on the internet side) and a server (for the home network).  I want to
> do this so when the dns servers should change all the systems will
> update automatically.  Is this possible?  And if so where do I find info
> on how to do it?
>
> 2) Redo the iptable rules so that it does ipforwarding, allow access
> into/out off the gnutella network (I use gnut) and closes all unnessary
> ports (I am not running a webserver or anything like that)
>
> The network has 2 computers on it.  One is a win98/linux box and the
> other is a Win98 box.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Nasa

--=_tcob1.net-7239-1008635602-0001-2

<-> Gateway Information.
This message originated from a Fidonet System (http://www.fidonet.org)
and was gated at TCOB1 (http://www.tcob1.net)
Please do not respond direct to this message but via the list