On Sunday 13 January 2002 12:47 pm, J. Craig Woods wrote:
> If you are confused, you are in very good company. Over the couple of years
> I have been hanging on this list, this issue has come up time and time
> again. According to the Mandrake folks, i.e. Civileme, this is just the way
> the Mandrake version of the kernel functions. It appears that the
> kapm-idled process shows itself as using the CPU cycles but it is not
> really using anything of the CPU. Go figure. Sometimes things are not what
> they appear to be. For some reason, to really confuse this issue, Red Hat's
> kapm-idled daemon behaves as you would expect it, which is in diametrical
> opposition to Mandrake's version.

I guess it makes sense.  When I run an uptime I see zero's for system load,
when I run top I was seeing the system as only 50% idle and that was freaking
me out.  All it does is dial my isp and share the connection.  But I did
notice when the machine was doing some real work the kapm-idled would
drop from top.  Guess I better give the machine some more work to do :)

Thanks for the answers.

-Scott