I use a basic ATI Radeon 32 MB video card in my box (OEM) and it works
perfectly (now) out of the box.  Before around Mandrake 8.1 I was
downloading, building, and installing the DRM source but the XFree86 4.1.0
supplied with 8.1 works out of the box.

At this time, the ATI Radeon 8500 isn't supported but the 7500 is.  I like
it, actually.  I play Heretic II, Terminus, Quake, Half-Life (via wine)
without problem.

As for NVidia, I don't trust them.  They are in close cahoots with M$ via the
Xbox and since they don't release specs for developers - if they decide
(perhaps as a favor to M$?) to end support for linux then future NVidia cards
would be nonstarters.  You would be safe for NOW, but who knows about the
future?

I'll be sticking with ATI for the forseeable future.

On Monday 28 January 2002 10:56 am, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
> Alan Wilter Sousa da Silva wrote:
> > Hi People,
> >
> >         It's just a commentary.
> >
> >         I really regret the day when I buy my GeForce.  Since I only
> > found out later, there's no open source drivers for such graphic-card (by
> > now I don't know).  And since Nvidia seems not be interest about Linux
[...]
> I fully agree with you...but...what do you do for 3D accelerated games like
> Quake 3, Rune, Soldier of Fortune, etc, etc,...? Sure, you can grab an old
> Voodoo but they are showing their age now with the latest games. I've got a
> 11 year old, and I have a Geforce 2 under Mandrake 8.0 for him. He loves
> the games. Only boots into Windoze now for games that we can't play under
> Linux (mostly Starcraft networking - and if Transgaming ever gets Winex to
> play networking with that game then Windows is dead).
>
> I've not yet heard of a good 3D accelerated card that is completely open
> source. The ATI Radeon seems to have potential but I've heard a lot of
> users say they never got 3D working right with it...
[...]