On Fri, 2002-02-01 at 01:48, Harm Bathoorn wrote:
> On Friday 01 February 2002 09:56, you wrote:
> > On Fri, 2002-02-01 at 00:15, Harm Bathoorn wrote:
>
> > qtcups? That's the cups printing gui. Shouldn't you use the inline
> > version: lpr-cups?
>
> Yes, but I like the extra options that gives me and at least it tells me
> something is happening:)
> >
> > Changing it to qtcups, does what I would expect, and calls the gui. It's
> > redundant. What's interesting is that gimp never seems to pass the print
> > off to the printer. It does the pre-processing, then ... nothing. it
> > just never goes anywhere. There HAS to be something really simple wrong.
> >
> > > I'm not sure of the other packages (GIMP rulez!:)) but I know Staroffice
> > > handles .tif images well --so if you've got it installed you could use
> > > that. I always use it's vector graphics capabilties to 'lay out'
> > > printable pages with multiple graphics on them. Works like charm:)
> >
> > Hadn't thought about SO. I have it. Kind of a MAC truck for a shovel
> > full fo dirt.
>
> True! Just drag&drop the saved file to the printer. I always use that to
> print out recieved faxe's cause the faxviewer (on my machine) has the same
> problem.
>
> I like gimp, and it would just be nice if I could get it
> > to print.
> Frankly I'm not really impressed by the quality of the GIMP printer output,
> but that could be printer specific. I prefer Cups for that.

I'm starting to agree. I was able to get cups to print. But gimp
steadfastly refuses. Even using lpr-cups in gimp "should" use the
command line cups printing. But it doesn't seem to work. My results so
far just get errors in .xsession-errors.

What I'm getting is an error about illegal format when I change the
print command in gimp to:
        lpr-cups -PEpson -oraw
        lp-cups -PEpson -oraw

If I omit the -oraw, the error stops, but it still doesn't print.
Very frustrating.

Oh, I CAN print from both qtcups, and xpp... I guess I just need to
accept that like most things with this, I can get the job done, but not
the way it really should be done.

<rant>
So, at the risk of starting a flame war:

Why does nearly everything with Linux need to be a work-around?
It would be nice if things worked the way their supposed to, without
requiring a bunch of hacks, and work-arounds.
That is my single biggest complaint about it. It's often very
discouraging. Esp. when friends are over (the devout windows people),
and I go to show them something, and I have to go through a series of
hacks to make something work. It really takes the steam out of the demo,
and keeps us firmly planted in the "hackerware" catagory.
</rant>

--
Ric Tibbetts

Linux registration number: 55684
If you want to help advertise Linux - point your friends to
http://counter.li.org/