OK, I have several networks at my college using a mix of 98 and NT into
NT servers and frankly they are not well administered at all. (Not by
me I might add.)  There is no overall diagram, or idea of how they are
linked together and when an uplink or a connection goes down (and
remember we are talking NT here!) it takes ages to put right.

To give some idea we have a couple of hundred m/cs each with its own
static ip number, it's as though DHCP had never been invented.  In
addition there is so much paranoia about hacking that the firewall is
tighter than a trout's ass (ie watertight) such that the lecturer's
domain is unavailable from the student m/c's on the grounds of
security.  As you may imagine this is a real PIA when notes or
reference material are required in class.

Anyway, cutting to the chase we have three spare servers, almost unused
since no-one has been able to figure out how to use them.  I have been
given them to use to prove that linux is the mutt's nuts for such tasks
and it will enable mail, print and web services with full security etc,
etc, etc....

Now the problem that is actually screwing me is this.

The boss wants the NT and 98 clients to be able to log on with an
individual name and password, rather than a machine name and common
password at present.  No problem, just use Samba on the domain master.

However he also wants each student, when they have logged on to have
access to server disk space eg their home directory, from any m/c they
log on to  ie a network drive mapped to /home/studentName on the
desktop.

Is this possible?  Maybe it's easy and just something I haven't come
across before?  I'd welcome any suggestions.

regards

Daryl Johnson
--
The most delightful day after the one on which you buy a cottage in
the country is the one on which you resell it.