It happens this way as a matter of course though doesn't it?  I mean I
accept what you say and understand that the /home/studentname directory
is automatically available and password protected (assuming
/etc/smb.conf is properly configured)  What the boss is getting at
though, I think, is that he expects to see the share as a network drive
icon on the screen of the client machine.

I have it in mind that some sort of script is required, probably at the
client, to map the share and display an icon, on boot, then kill the
thing at log-off.

> I think it's easier than you think... can't you mount samba with each
> directory (/home/studentname) with a user/password? So, the directory
> is always mounted, but only the student that is the owner will have
> access to it, when logged...
>
> HTH
>
> orlando
>
> Daryl Johnson wrote:
> > Anyway, cutting to the chase we have three spare servers, almost
> > unused since no-one has been able to figure out how to use them.  I
> > have been given them to use to prove that linux is the mutt's nuts
> > for such tasks and it will enable mail, print and web services with
> > full security etc, etc, etc....
> >
> > Now the problem that is actually screwing me is this.
> >
> > The boss wants the NT and 98 clients to be able to log on with an
> > individual name and password, rather than a machine name and common
> > password at present.  No problem, just use Samba on the domain
> > master.
> >
> > However he also wants each student, when they have logged on to
> > have access to server disk space eg their home directory, from any
> > m/c they log on to  ie a network drive mapped to /home/studentName
> > on the desktop.
> >
> > Is this possible?  Maybe it's easy and just something I haven't
> > come across before?  I'd welcome any suggestions.
> >
> > regards
> >
> > Daryl Johnson
> > --
> > The most delightful day after the one on which you buy a cottage in
> > the country is the one on which you resell it.
> >                 -- J. Brecheux

> >------------- Want to buy your Pack or Services from MandrakeSoft?
> > Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of.
                -- Ogden Nash