For a virus to damage more than the current user's files, it would need root
access. For that, it would have to have some sort of ability to "root" the
system, usually overflowing a port. The problem is that a virus that could
root several different UNIXes running different versions of services would
have to have many different hacks in it and would be very large in size, and
just the size alone would alert people to the fact it's a virus.

Viruses get by on x86 systems because of common exploitable problems. A
10-15MB virus would be much, much easier to detect.