Ric Tibbetts grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-02-07 at 06:57, Kevin wrote:
> > On Wednesday 06 February 2002 08:43 pm, you wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > Hopefully, *someone* can help me out here....
> >
> > Probably someone can, but I suggest modifying the subject line a little to
> > reflect your problem.  I know you're frustrated, but subjects like that
> > usually get ignored.

Frustrated doesn't *begin* to describe it. :-)  But you make a good point,
and I've modified the subject line accordingly.

> > When you try to print something, do a:
> >
> > tail /var/log/messages
> >
> > and see if there's anything in there relating to the print (i.e. errors on
> > lp0, permissions, etc.)

I did a "tail -f /var/log/messages" and then started KUPS.  Told it to
"Test Printer" - no messages in /var/log/messages.

> > There may also be a CUPS error log somewhere.  Look in /var/log  or
> > /var/spool/<cups or lpd>.

I did find /var/spool/cups, which had a error_log file in it.  I checked
that, and found the following entries from when I told KUPS to send a test
print to the printer:

I [time] Job 10 queued on 'lp' by 'root'.
I [time] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 4888) for job 10.
I [time] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/cupsomatic (PID 4889)
        for job 10.
I [time] Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel (PID 4890)
        for job 10.
E [time] PID 4889 stopped with status 32!

(Where I have "[time]" is where the timestamp appeared in the log.  But
since I'm typing this by hand, I figured that the timestamp wasn't that
important. :-)  I'm indenting where something was actually part of the line
that's before it, since my mail program was wrapping in a way which might
have made it harder to follow.)

That last line seems to indicate a problem, but it doesn't exactly explain
what is causing it.

When I do a "lp some-text-file", I get the same log entries in error_log as
above, but with an extra line saying:

I [time] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/texttops

with the PID and job number.  Everything else is the same, including the
error message for the cupsomatic PID.

Any thoughts on where I should look next?

> Another useful place for errors is $HOME/.xsession-errors. I recently
> went through some problems with my printer, and found some good info
> there. Try doing a "tail -f .xsession-errors", and then launching a
> print, and see if you can capture anything useful.

When doing that "test print" function from within KUPS, I saw the following
lines in the .xsession-errors log:

which: no openProfile in (directories in my $PATH)
which: no webbrowsing in (directories in my $PATH)
/usr/bin/kfmclient
QMenuData::removeItem: Index -1 out of range
QMenuData::removeItem: Index -1 out of range
QMenuData::removeItem: Index -1 out of range
QMenuData::removeItem: Index -1 out of range
undecodable token: \001b(hex)[361
QObject::connect: No such slot
        CupsdServerSecurityPage::cleanupEventFilter()
QObject::connect:  (sender name: 'unnamed')
QObject::connect:  (receiver name: 'unnamed')

When I did the "lp some-text-file", no new messages showed up in the
.xsession-errors file.

Any thoughts on this?

> I know these things can be frustrating. But with enough information, the
> answer can be found. :)

I sure hope so. :-)  I'd like to be able to actually *use* my printer with
my Linux machine....

                 --Dave
--
      David Guntner      GEnie: Just say NO!