On Thu, 7 Feb 2002 11:42:30 -0800
"David Guntner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ric Tibbetts grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

> > > Probably someone can, but I suggest modifying the subject line a
little to
> > > reflect your problem.  I know you're frustrated, but subjects like
that
> > > usually get ignored.
>
> Frustrated doesn't *begin* to describe it. :-)  But you make a good
point,
> and I've modified the subject line accordingly.
>
> > > When you try to print something, do a:
> > >
> > > tail /var/log/messages
> > >
> > > and see if there's anything in there relating to the print (i.e.
errors on
> > > lp0, permissions, etc.)
>
> I did a "tail -f /var/log/messages" and then started KUPS.  Told it to
> "Test Printer" - no messages in /var/log/messages.
>
> > > There may also be a CUPS error log somewhere.  Look in /var/log  or
> > > /var/spool/<cups or lpd>.
>
> I did find /var/spool/cups, which had a error_log file in it.  I checked

> that, and found the following entries from when I told KUPS to send a
test
> print to the printer:
>
> I [time] Job 10 queued on 'lp' by 'root'.
> I [time] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 4888) for job
10.
> I [time] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/cupsomatic (PID 4889)
>       for job 10.
> I [time] Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel (PID 4890)
>       for job 10.
> E [time] PID 4889 stopped with status 32!
>
> (Where I have "[time]" is where the timestamp appeared in the log.  But
> since I'm typing this by hand, I figured that the timestamp wasn't that
> important. :-)  I'm indenting where something was actually part of the
line
> that's before it, since my mail program was wrapping in a way which
might
> have made it harder to follow.)
>
> That last line seems to indicate a problem, but it doesn't exactly
explain
> what is causing it.
>
> When I do a "lp some-text-file", I get the same log entries in error_log
as
> above, but with an extra line saying:
>
> I [time] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/texttops
>
> with the PID and job number.  Everything else is the same, including the

> error message for the cupsomatic PID.
>
> Any thoughts on where I should look next?
>
> > Another useful place for errors is $HOME/.xsession-errors. I recently
> > went through some problems with my printer, and found some good info
> > there. Try doing a "tail -f .xsession-errors", and then launching a
> > print, and see if you can capture anything useful.
>
> When doing that "test print" function from within KUPS, I saw the
following
> lines in the .xsession-errors log:
>
> which: no openProfile in (directories in my $PATH)
> which: no webbrowsing in (directories in my $PATH)
> /usr/bin/kfmclient
> QMenuData::removeItem: Index -1 out of range
> QMenuData::removeItem: Index -1 out of range
> QMenuData::removeItem: Index -1 out of range
> QMenuData::removeItem: Index -1 out of range
> undecodable token: \001b(hex)[361
> QObject::connect: No such slot
>       CupsdServerSecurityPage::cleanupEventFilter()
> QObject::connect:  (sender name: 'unnamed')
> QObject::connect:  (receiver name: 'unnamed')

Don't know if this will help but I'm noticing that sender/reciever unamed.
 I had a problem before setting up a printer through samba and found that
using kups I had to "Name" the printer calling it lp didn't work I
acutally had to give it a name (mines called Epson) as for location I used
the samba name for the print share.  I know yours' is local... but it
might need a unique name.