Hello,

After trying to use the Mandrake update tools urpmi, rpmdrake, etc and
finding them more or less unusable (at least to follow cooker), I
tried apt(-rpm) and these tools are. Or should be, as expected from
the apt tools in Debian (used on my other boxes; no probs eg to follow
unstable), _if_ the ftp sites had updated *.cooker files! But they do
not, for example ftp.sunet.se shows:

mandrake-devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake:
RPMS.cooker 0 04/28/01 02:00:00

mandrake-devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/base:
pkglist.cooker 10719066 12/24/01 20:54:00
srclist.cooker 883823 07/27/01 02:00:00

The same situation applies for other Mandrake mirrors (and other
sites). Whatever the vendors say, now when apt is ported to rpm based
distributions (by connectiva), why can't we use best tools available
for the task at hand, in this case to follow the unstable (or
development branches) of Debian, Mandrake, Redhat etc. The situation
is maybe different for people purchasing a distribution and doing
bug/security/etc updates from there, using Mandrake rpmdrake, redhat
up2date etc, thats another issue.

Just a thought, sincerely
Svante

(Recently replaced a box running Redhat RawHide with Debian
unstable/sid. Still keeping the box with Mandrake Cooker, but who
knows?).
(Also, maybe apt should be moved from RPMS2 to RPMS, at least for cooker??)