daRcmaTTeR wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 20:04:25 -0500
> Norman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> studiouisly spake these words to
> ponder:
>
> > Mark Weaver wrote:
> >
> > > Is there any? I can't get my visor working cause there doesn't happen to
> > > be anything to connect to. :(
> > >
> > > Mark
> > >

> > What version of Mandrake are you using?
> >
> > I use 8.0 and USB support is in it.
> > Start Mandrake Control Center
> > click on
> > System  then  Services
> > scroll down the list until you see usb and usbd
> > click on the little box to the left of on boot
> > and the start button for each.
> > Reboot and, as long as USB is enabled in your Bios
> > you should have USB
> >
> > best wishes,
> > norm
>
> Hi Norm,
>
> I'm using 8.2beta1 at the moment, although I had been using 8.1 and there
> wasn't any support for usb in that version either. I haven't seen any since
> 7.2.

AFAICS devfs seems to be the culprit behind most USB problems. Mandrake
had even recommended disabling it when they released the first kernel
update after 8.1 was released. devfs is also why you don't see all the
/dev links as you used to. The concept behind devfs says that those
links are only created on the fly as they're needed, if you disable
devfs they'll all come back and behave in the old manner. We have three
8.1 boxes here. We've only gotten one of them to sync via USB with our
Handsprings using devfs - and even that one will only sync through
jpilot (can't get evolution to work). The other two boxes we've had to
disable devfs (I think you specify devfs = nomount or some such in
lilo.conf) and use the hard coded links to get the Handsprings to sync
via USB.

I know I've read numerous messages where folks have had no problem with
devfs, even some in this thread. But it does appear problematic to me.
YMMV.

--
Mike Rambo
[EMAIL PROTECTED]