On Saturday 16 February 2002 08:46 pm, you wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I was wondering if anyone has managed to install Win4Lin AND VMware on the
> same Kernel (the updated Mandrake 8.1 kernel), success or not, what things
> break, things that I need to be carefull about, and any info that I could
> get from someone who went through it.

I am using the most current Win4Lin-supplied kernel installed on the default
Mandrake 8.1 kernel (The Win4Lin kernel package supplies a kernel and a
kernel module for the stock Mandrake kernel. I didn't have much success using
the updated Mandrake 8.1 kernel). I also run VMware 3.0.0-1455. Both work
well but for one exception:

Neither app can access my CD-ROM drive and since I really don't need to
access that drive from Win4Lin or VMware,  I haven't figured out the problem
(I use devfs=nomount in LILO and scsi emulation on the CD-ROM drive) and
fixed it. It's most likely symbolic link or permission problems.

Win4Lin (NeTraverse) and Mandrake have some kind of "partnership" now, so I
assume that future stock Mandrake kernels will support Win4Lin out-of-the-box
(or at least I hope so).

Hoyt

--

www.maximumhoyt.com