I'm REALLY confused about this because I have never had the problem,
despite having done numerous installs of LM from 7.1 to 8.1 on systems
which already had W2K, NT4 whatever.  At the moment I'm running a XP /
LM8.1 machine.  AFAIK XP uses the same bootloader setup as NT and 2K
(it's all just flavors of NT anyway I guess).  My installation procedure
was:

1. Install XP leaving some unpartitioned space.
2. Install LM8.1

The boot device is HDA. LILO handles it. XP boots (as rarely as
possible). LM boots. No problem.  No floppies.

I previously had the same experience with a W98/NT4/W2K/LM system.  LILO
was configured with two choices - M$ or Linux.  Choosing M$ would then
execute the windog boot loader from which I could choose which flavor of
hell I wished to descend into.  Again, apart from windoze being there -
no problem and no floppies at any stage of the process.

So, can someone sort me out as to why I am so lucky?  I am really keen
to know the ins and outs as I anticipate installing LM on lots of client
machines, so I guess I'll run into whatever circumstances cause the
problem soon enough.

TIA
Brian