I know its probably bad form to reply to your own posts, but just a
thought - could this be because when W2K was present I always had it
installed in conjunction with another windoze flavor?  It may never have
been installed on the first partition.  Is W2K "special" in exhibiting
the problem? i.e. it doesn't happen with NT4 or XP?

Brian (again)