Glenn,
  Just curious.  If you are launching xterm from mandrake's menu you might
want to look at the menu command for xterm +dc enables dynamic colors and
-dc disables them.  If the -dc switch isn't there you might want to add it
to the command line and then save the new menu config.  As for Emacs...
don't know, don't use.  But it should be something simular.

James