On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Randall Jonasz wrote:

> I just compiled kernel 2.4.17 on mandrake 8.1;  everything boots up nicely
> except for a module required by ipvsadm.  For the life of me I can't find
> anything in the kernel config for ip virtual server.  Does anyone know
> where it is located?  I've disabled ipvsadm with chkconfig as, after
> reading the man pages, I don't think I need it.  But I'm curious to know
> what module it's looking for so I can compile it into the kernel?

Hi Randy,

The error that you're getting on boot is, as you probably guessed, caused
by the fact that IPVS has not been compiled into the kernel.  You won't
find any option in menuconfig or the like, as it is an external patch that
you must apply to the kernel source before you compile it.

MandrakeSoft patch their kernels with the IPVS code before release.  This
is why you didn't get the error with the default 8.1 kernel, which is I
assume what you are running.

Chances are, you probably don't need it anyway.  So, to save you some
headaches you could do remove ipvsadm - this will fix the error you get
when booting the kernel:

urpme ipvsadm-1.19-1mdk

If you really do need it, and want to patch the source accordingly, I
suggest you investigate further.  The following URLs should be useful:

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/mini-HOWTO/LVS-mini-HOWTO-4.html

I hope this is of some help to you.

Regards,

--
Ashley Reynolds - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who
does not ask remains a fool forever."