Rob wrote:

> On Wednesday 27 February 2002 02:26, you wrote:

> > Can anyone point me to a cookbook doc on partitioning? Not the
> > mechanics, but how much to allocate. How much to allocate to /, swap,
> > /usr? Should /usr/local and /home be on the same partitions, separate ones?

> If its just your home PC then it dont hurt to make one '/' root partition
> and just let it all live it there.

May not hurt, but only until you find yourself reinstalling, for
whatever reason. Reinstalls are much easier when you don't need to scrap
your /home. Make a separate partition for /home, and if using Grub to
boot, make a separate partition for /boot as well. So, at a minimum, you
want 1-swapspace, 2-/home , 3-/, and maybe /boot.

If your Linux will be sharing a PC with other operating systems, I
highly recommend Linux "logical" swap, / or /boot partitions be the
first logical partitions on a drive, /dev/xdx5, /dev/xdx6 and /dev/xdx7.
This avoids any need to emergency boot to fix /etc/lilo.conf or
/boot/grub/menu.lst if you later alter your disk structure, such as
resizing, creating and moving with Partition Magic.

Space towards the start of a HD is the fastest, so that's where you
should probably prefer your OS and program binaries to be located.
Partitions are also faster if you don't let them approach filling up.
This means you probably should allocate around 3 Gb minimum to / if
keeping everything except /home and /boot on one partition. That way you
should be able to keep your / from getting much more than 50% full right
away.
--
"Blessed are all who fear the Lord, who walk in his ways."
                                                Psalm 128:1 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.members.atlantic.net/