On 01 Mar 2002 09:42:48 +0800
William Kenworthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have 256 ram and 512 swap - and regularly run out of space (single
> user processing largish files at times), resorting to additional swap
> files as a temporary solution.!  Just upgraded to 512mram and find that
> files that would send the swap over top now hardly effect it - ram must
> be more efficient!  However, next time I will go for 1g swap - if disk
> space is not a priority, go for the max and you dont get stuck with a
> system you have to reformat when real use patterns change.  The system
> still ran - sort of - when the swap filled, but its not something you
> want to plan on doing.  What is really needed is a dynamic swap file for
> overloads, but I have never heard of this for linux.

Although I haven't done it, (393 megs ram 64 shared for video and about a
2% average usage of the 256megs of swap available) You can set up a swap
file in linux.  It works simular to the swap file in windows and just like
windows it's slower than a swap partition.  It can however from what I'm
told grow dynamically with your system.  This might do what you are
talking about.

James