| Hello,
|
| I'd like to set up a mail server for two users on my home LAN. I have a
| mail account at my provider and I created two aliasses. Now my questions
| are:
|
| - Can I configure sendmail to send mail to the SMTP server of my      ISP?

        You can set up the mail client to send through your ISPs mail server
        other wise, you can send mail through your local machine, if you have
        it running.  If you're going to run a mail server then just send from
        your local machine.  As long as it has an IP address with reverse look
        ups, then this is a very viable option.

| - Is it possible use fetchmail to retrieve th email from my ISP and
| process it with procmail (I 'd like to create two mailboxes on my LAN
| and deliver the mail, depending on the alias, in the right mailbox.).

        With out a doubt.  This is how most people go about downloading
        their mail.  that way they can filter is with procmail or some
        other filtering agent.

| - Where can I find info on setting up such a 'mailserver'?

        Check out man pages, or use config tools:

        man procmailrc
        http://www.procmail.org/
        man fetchmail
        fetchmailconf (Must be done as root)

| - If you can point me to the right direction, I would be very happy...

        You can set up your /etc/fetchmailrc by hand, as I have done, or
        you can use fetchmailconf to create it.  Here's a quick example
        of how to set up fetchmail:

set postmaster "postmaster"
set nobouncemail
set no spambounce
set properties ""
# This line is set if you're have fetchmail running at start up.
# Tells it how often to run the daemon.
set daemon 120
# Tell it where to look for the mail, and it's always good to tell
# it the IP address of the mail address, of course the 10.10.10.10
# is just for example.
poll mail.server.net via 10.10.10.10
  with proto POP3
# Now give it user information.
        user 'userID' there with password 'passwd' is LOCALuserID here options
fetchall warnings 3600
     antispam 571 550 501 554

If you have more then one mailserver, you can then start over at the poll line, and add
another mail server.

None of this should take long in setup, or be too difficult to put in place.

Procmail has a mailing list.  It's gotten to be pretty good, so yo can check there for
help if you can't find it on this list.  Also check this link out, it can be pretty
helpful.

http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/

I've set up, and/or installed all of the above, feel free to email me directly if
needed.

Lastly, a very useful tool for gathering help:  IRC.  Check out www.openprojects.net/.
Check out a IRC client, and logon to the #mandrake, and #mandrakeguru channels for
help.
There's often somebody there that can help, or at least make you think they can help!
:')

Hope this helps.
tdh

  T. Holmes  |  UNIXTECHS.org  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  UIN:  17021091