-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of David Guntner
Sent: Thursday, 28 February 2002 7:18 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] BASH Scripts

Tom Badran grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

> How can i use an if in a bash script so that it will only run commands if
the
> specified file is empty?
>
> Basically, ive set up a cache system by which the output of ifconfig is
> stored in /var/cache/IP/1
>
> Then, every minute my script is run. It first puts the output of ifconfig
in
> /var/cache/IP/2 and diff's it with 1 outputing that to a file 'diff'. I
then
> want to run a series of commands if the file diff is not empty.

if [ -s diff ]; then
  {do your command or commands here}
fi

> What im trying to do is get an email sent to me every time the IP changes
on
> a specific machine, so i always have a record of it for logging in via
ssh.
> The specific connection is ppp0 which auto redials on disconnect. If there
is
> an easier way of doing this please share with me.

Have you checked out the free DDNS service at no-ip.com?  They have a Linux
client that you can run when you connect, and then you can just ssh into
yourmachine.no-ip.com instead of worrying about the current IP address.

             --Dave
--
      David Guntner      GEnie: Just say NO!
 http://www.akaMail.com/pgpkey/davidg or key server