Alexander Skwar grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

> Another thing that I find strange, was his /usr/lib/sasl/smtpd.conf
> file.  It contained lines which should be in /etc/pam.d/smtpd.  When I
> had postfix+SMTP AUTH somewhat working, I had nothing but pwcheck_method
> in there - and this file seemed to be totally ignored, by the way.

I have to agree with Alexander on this one, Vincent.  I've just run a bunch
of tests.  I used saslpasswd to create a username and password for myself,
different from my regular system password.  My regular mail client on my
Windows machine appears to use CRAM-MD5 when being told to login to the
SMTP server with a username and password (when I had the wrong one in, my
syslog showed that CRAM-MD5 failed).  No matter *what* I put in
/usr/lib/sasl/smtpd.conf - pwcheck, pam, shadow - if I use my system
password, authentication fails.  But if I use the password that I created
with saslpasswd, it works fine, regardless of the authentication method
that I've selected.  Needless to say, this is not very desirable - I want
to be able to have users authenticate based on their login password, just
like they can do with POP3.  Maybe you can check with whoever to find out
why it's behaving in this fashion?

                 --Dave
--
      David Guntner      GEnie: Just say NO!