James wrote:

> > On Sun, 2002-03-10 at 20:26, Pierre Fortin wrote:
> > > Ooops...  forgot to add that I needed to hit Return after sending the GET;
> > > so the full instructions are:
> > >
> > >    telnet <server> 80
> > >    GET http://<some_other_server> HTTP/1.0
> > >    <Return>
> > >
> > > Without the extra return, the command "just sits" there as you discovered.
> > >
> > > Sorry for the oversight,
> > > Pierre
> > >
> > > On Sun, 10 Mar 2002 18:01:13 -0700 Ken Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Pierre,
> >
> > Thankfully mine said connection refused.
>
> Mine 3 simply gave me the index.html page from the box I originally telneted into.
>Not from another server.
>
> James

Just to save my sanity, what is the expected response from a telnet
session into your web server's port? Like James, I get back my
index.html when I run the "GET blah..blah..". Does someone know of some
*good* documentation about this particular aspect of running a apache
web sever? I have looked but found little on this topic
(hint..hint..Pierre)

Thanks,
--
J. Craig Woods