On Tue, 12 Mar 2002 13:33:00 -0600 "J. Craig Woods" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> James wrote:

> > > Pierre,
> > >
> > > Thankfully mine said connection refused.
> >
> > Mine 3 simply gave me the index.html page from the box I originally
> > telneted into. Not from another server.
> >
> > James
> >

> Just to save my sanity, what is the expected response from a telnet
> session into your web server's port? Like James, I get back my
> index.html when I run the "GET blah..blah..". Does someone know of some
> *good* documentation about this particular aspect of running a apache
> web sever? I have looked but found little on this topic
> (hint..hint..Pierre)

Let's not forget the reason I posted this...  if your web server accepts
the above command and serves a remote page, then it can be used by kiddies
to get access to servers while making it seem all those requests are
really coming from you.  This is due to your server "proxying"...

Give me your server and I'll see if I can use it to access other sites
through it...  :^)

Here's an example of the problem where I connect to Mandrake and actually
get a Cisco page:

$ telnet www.mandrakesoft.com 80
Trying 63.209.80.236...
Connected to www.mandrakesoft.com (63.209.80.236).