modprobe visor

That should install the Palm-USB driver (it used to be Handspring
Visor-only, thus the name).

You'll follow the following procedure:

Hotsync port: /dev/usb/tts/1

(Enter that in settings whenever you need the hotsync serial port.
Alternatively, you can go do /dev and make a symlink for it called, say,
"pilot" by the following command:
        ln -s /dev/usb/tts/1 /dev/pilot
If you do that, use /dev/pilot as your serial port setting.)

Now, open JPilot (the one that comes with Mdk will work fine) and put your
Visor in the cradle.  Do:

1. Press HotSync on Visor
2. Press "Sync" in JPilot
3. Watch things move around.

Pressing HotSync on the Visor is an important first step because it "wakes
up" the driver and creates the /dev/usb/tts/1 device file.  Until you
press HotSync (and until the Sync finishes), that file is not present.

Step 4: Experiment with other packages, like Evolution + gnome-pilot, or
KDE's stuff + kpilot.  (Consider reading some documentation regarding each
online, or ask the list about them.)

-- Asheesh.