I've got some idea to explain why paying for a distro could be reasoned:

The main idea is to have the source open as mentioned several times. We
want Linux to grow and prosper. So we're forming a community with some
sort of membership fees to additionally empower the open source idea with
money. It's just the idea of "one for all and all for one" transferred.
Anybody can think of many concepts of membership fees, buying a distro
could certainly be considered to be one.

ciao

Thorsten