On Tuesday 19 March 2002 02:32 am, you wrote:

> > David Guntner wrote:
> > > This isn't specifically a Mandrake thing, but I'm hoping that
> > > someone here can give me some pointers to help out.
> > >
> > > I'm running ML 8.1 on my Linux box, and for the last several
> > > days, my system as just stopped.  Locked up pretty completely.
> > > I'll hit the reset button to restart the system, and it will run
> > > for more-or-less 24 hours and then just halt again.  The
> > > motherboard is an Epox EP-MVP3G with an AMD K6-2 CPU in it.  I
> > > was running a 550MHz chip, and fell back to an older 350MHz chip
> > > thinking that it might be the CPU dieing on me, but that hasn't
> > > helped.  I've run Memtest-86 on the machine, and it doesn't
> > > report problems with any of my RAM SIMMs.  I'm beginning to have
> > > the Creeping Feeling Of Doom that the motherboard is dieing on
> > > me, but I'd like to get a second opinion before I go out hunting
> > > down another K6-2 compatible Socket 7 motherboard.  Educated
> > > opinions welcomed and appreciated. :-)
> > >
> > >                     --Dave

Dave, it definetly sounds like a hardware problem. It sounds like
something gets heated up after 24 hours then fails. It could be a one
of several things. Don't flame me for this, but, have you tried a
different OS to see if it does the same thing? If so, then it's got to
be a hardware problem. I would investigate the RAM, then the
motherboard. I don't know how much ram you have, but if you could beg,
borrow or steal some other ram, swap yours out  then run it for a
couple of days. If it doesn't lock up, then I guess we know the
problem. If it still does it it's time to look at the mb. After that
I'm out of ideas.

Best of luck!

--
Jonathan Dlouhy
Tuesday, March 19, 2002
Don't be so humble, you're not that great. -Golda Meir
Registered Linux user #264482      Powered by Mandrake Linux 8.1