James grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

>   Just had a friend walk in so I asked him... He had the same problem
> and it was because the CPU fan had gotten worn down and wasn't cooling
> the CPU as well as it used to (plus a lot of the k-6 fans were flaky
> to start)  His suggestion is to (his words not mine) open up the case
> stick a destop fan blowing into the box.  If that changes the time
> before it crokes... it's the fan.  Or if you don't want such a crude
> test get one of the cylindrical(sp?) fans on the market now put it in
> and try it out that way.  Fans cheaper and easier to find than a k-6
> mobo these days.

I know. :-)  I'm dreading having to track down a new motherboard for this
beast, although as I progress further and further, it's looking more and
more likely.  FWIW, the BIOS has not been reporting abnormally high
tempratures on the CPU.  The 350MHz one I have in their currently is
running around 109 degrees F, which isn't that bad.

I've got all three DIMM (I can't believe I've been saying SIMM all this
time - argh!) slots populated at the present time.  I'm going to start
pulling them one at a time and see if the problem goes away.  I've had
really good results with Memtest-86 in the past, so I don't seriously think

it's a DIMM module.  But I want to be complete in my testing....
Especially before I have to track down a new motherboard.

               --Dave
--
      David Guntner      GEnie: Just say NO!
 http://www.akaMail.com/pgpkey/davidg or key server