Tom Brinkman grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

>      Well, I'd suspect overheating too since the ram checks out.
> Install lm_sensors and gkrellm if they aren't already, and constantly
> monitor your cpu temp.

Those sound useful. :-)  Are they on one of the CDs, or do they have to be
downloaded from somewhere?  Currently, the only way I can check my CPU temp
is to reboot and then go into the BIOS - not the most optimal way... :-)

> Since the system will pass memtest86, you're
> ready to really test it. Go to www.amd.com and find out the core
> failure temp for your K6. Since the temp from a probe (thermistor)
> can be as much as 30°C less than the core temp, you should be seein
> cpu temps from lm_sensors that are failure temp minus 30°C.  EG, if
> AMD specs the max core temp at 80°C, then you never want your
> displayed temp to go over 50°C, and certainly not 60°C.

I went to AMD's site, and while I could find a PDF document titled "AMD-K6-
2 Processor Data Sheet," the Thermal Design section only says that it's
supposed to run with a case temprature within a certain range.  They also
don't mention the 550MHz chip.

>  If you're OK, then d/l cpuburn   http://users.ev1.net/~redelm/
> and run 'burn'K6'.  Cpu temp will rapidly rise, and if it gets to
> within 20°C of failure temp, abort burnK6 and improve your cpu and
> case cooling.  Generally case temps are the problem, but if your
> heatsink is mounted with a thermal pad, clean it off and remount the
> hs with thermal grease. 'Course while you're in there, clean out the
> dust bunnies, and reseat all your cable connections, harddrive
> cables, and peripheral cards, including the ram.

I'm kind-of one step ahead of you there. :-)  I pulled my 550MHz chip,
thinking that the problem could be with the CPU, and replaced it with the
old 350MHz chip that the 550MHz chip had replaced originally (I tend not to
throw away components when they get replaced :).  So the heatsink has a
nice fresh coat of heatsink grease on it, and I did blow everything out and
reseated several connectors (can't remember if I got them all or not,
though...).

>      Memtest86 is a great first test, but any properly cooled and
> stable system should be able to run the appropriate cpuburn module
> for at least an hour. Weak systems and those overclocked too far will
> probly fail within 10 to 15 minutes.  If ya don't wanna do all the
> above, then at least take your case cover off, clean out the dust,
> and point a table fan into the case an see if that remedies your
> problems. If it does, you need to improve case cooling.

I will give those various things a try.  Thanks for the suggestions.

                  --Dave
--
      David Guntner      GEnie: Just say NO!
 http://www.akaMail.com/pgpkey/davidg or key server