The "EBDA too big" message is usually caused by a mismatched
kernel/boot sector.  You need to reinstall the boot sector to match.
This begs the question - what setup/extras/recompiles are you using?
This could be the cause of your instability rather than Mandrake as
such.  Reliabilty usually comes down to hardware problems or
misconfiguration.

BillK