No matter what I do I can't seem to get the pop daemon to work. I'm trying to use
ipop3d from the imap package and it seems to work ok, but it doesn't start on boot.

Every help guide says to put some lines into inetd.conf which is conspicuously absent.
In xinetd.d I've got an ipop3 script with:
service pop3
{
disable = no
socket_type = stream
wait = no
user = root
server = /usr/sbin/ipop3d
log_on_success += USERID
log_on_failure += USERID
}

In it.

Just typing ipop3d as root lets me type in typical mailbox type commands (user pass
list last ...). Telnet to 110 gives connection denied.

rc.firewall

#!/bin/bash
echo "Enabling Forwarding"
echo ""
echo 1>/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
iptables -F INPUT
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
iptables -F OUTPUT
iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
iptables -F FORWARD

iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth1 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o eth0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 3128
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 81 -j REDIRECT --to-port 3128
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth1 -p tcp --dport 5900 -j DNAT --to-destination
192.168.0.1
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth1 -p tcp --dport 5800 -j DNAT --to-destination
192.168.0.1