hi

to troubleshoot and verify that its not the firewall
rules that causes the problem, disable the iptables
first and see if your pop3 is working.

i got the same entries for my /etc/xinetd.d/ipop3
file. works fine for me. flush your rules, then telnet
localhost 110 ... see if that gives you the response
you expect.

btw, you need to restart xinetd after any changes to
the /etc/xinetd.d files to make your changes take
effect.

hth
dianne

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> No matter what I do I can't seem to get the pop
> daemon to work. I'm trying to use ipop3d from the
> imap package and it seems to work ok, but it doesn't
> start on boot.
>
> Every help guide says to put some lines into
> inetd.conf which is conspicuously absent. In
> xinetd.d I've got an ipop3 script with:
> service pop3
> {
> disable = no
> socket_type = stream
> wait = no
> user = root
> server = /usr/sbin/ipop3d
> log_on_success += USERID
> log_on_failure += USERID
> }
>
> In it.
>
> Just typing ipop3d as root lets me type in typical
> mailbox type commands (user pass list last ...).
> Telnet to 110 gives connection denied.
>

> rc.firewall
>
> #!/bin/bash
> echo "Enabling Forwarding"
> echo ""
> echo 1>/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>
> iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
> iptables -F INPUT
> iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
> iptables -F OUTPUT
> iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
> iptables -F FORWARD
>
> iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth1 -m state --state
> ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
> iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o eth0 -j ACCEPT
> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport
> 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 3128
> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport
> 81 -j REDIRECT --to-port 3128
> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -j MASQUERADE
> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth1 -p tcp --dport
> 5900 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.0.1
> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth1 -p tcp --dport
> 5800 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.0.1
>
> > Want to buy your Pack or Services from
MandrakeSoft?