Hi, how does one reset the video mode of a virtual console?

Occaisionally I get an X crash which leaves the consoles in a weird
state.  X restarts ok, but all other screens show two copies of whatever
console was running on it before (text is in green!) on the top half and
the bottom half contains the bottom half of whatever is running in X

The only way I have been able to fix it so far is to reboot!  And this
has happened from early Mandrake versions to currently 8.1, various
xfree's, 3 different video cards and two different MB's, but I have
never seen it with redhat (though I have far more experiance with mdk
these days.)

BillK