Hello all!

I'm having trouble with XFree86 4.2.0.  My box is a IBM 300PL with an embedded S3 Trio
3D graphics card.  I blew it away and installed Mandrake 8.2 -- no problems.  I then
upgraded to XFree86 4.2.0 (it was using 3.3.6 or something - why such an old version
on
a brand new release?)

Anyways, after tweaking XF86Config-4, my hardware seems to be recognized OK... I get
a nice grey X-windowey screen with a window in the middle that says "welcome to <my
computer name here>" and prompts for a login and password, as well as which window
manager I'd like to use.

Here's where it deviates from normal: No matter what window manager I choose,
whenver I log in, the machine thinks for about 5 seconds, then gives me a new window
at the top titled "Session Menu" and with a line that says "chooseSessionListWidget".
There are 5 buttons listed: "Load Session", "Delete Session", "Break Lock",
"default/Fail Safe", and "Cancel", and all but the last 2 options are greyed out.  No
matter which I press (or even if I click on "chooseSessionListWidget"), I get dumped
back to the login prompt. No KDE for me. :(

One other weird thing: There's an xterm session at the bottom right of the screen that
says "Console Log for <my computer domain here>, but I can't interact with it at all.
(except to scroll up and down, but that's useless as there's only 1 line...)

That TOTALLY doesn't jive with my /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file, which should be showing
like 3 xterms and one xclock. (I don't have any .xinitrc files, so that should be
used,
right?)

Also, I did look into the archives - someone had the same problem in November of 2000,
but I didn't find the response to be very pertinent to the problem.  Can anyone out
there
shed some light on this?

Thanks for whatever help you can offer...

-Jason

Jason Earle
Booz | Allen | Hamilton