On Mon, 8 Apr 2002 21:48:16 +0300 "Nikolay V.Kursov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > If you're using kppp to start pppd, you should see a dialog which
> > offers to enable debugging; do it, and you may get a better clue why.
> >
> > If using dial-on-demand, adding "debug" to the /etc/ppp/options will
> > cause pppd to log details to syslog.
> >
> > Either way, more info would help...
> >
> > Pierre
>
> pppd don't put any unusual messages - connect, authorization, local and
> remote IP, DNS... Furthermore I can work after this a few minutes, for
> example to receive one or two e-mails, but then system hangs up without
> any messages in /var/log/messages. After this I can restart system only
> via Reset button. It is not hardware problem course LM8.1 worked on this
> PC without any problems.
>
> Nikolay V. Kursov

Sounds like an internal modem...  no lights...  when this happens, does
the modem actaully hang up the line, or does the line stay occupied.  If
the latter, try using minicom and send the modem "+++ath" (w/o quotes).
I've seen this on one system; but that was after a power glitch...

Pierre