I installed KDE3 last night on my 8.1 box. All in all a good experience.
There were some deps I needed to fulfill, probably around 10 or so.
KDE3 comes up just fine, as long as you are user. The KDE3 is listed
in the kdm login screen dropdown. (I installed KDE3 alongside of KDE2.2.x
However I have a few issues. KDE3 isnt an option for login for root. Although
when logged in as root, i can run the control center and kde3 is listed.

Also my fonts look real bad .... again. Anti-aliasing is checked (as user)

And I get some error about some font xxx-xxx-medium-xxx not being found
I get about 4 of those error boxes.

Also, some modules arent in control center (user) I get an error box stating
I am trying to run an older module, or perhaps it wasnt installed.

Sound - Fine, Video - Fine (XF4.1)

I didn't delete my .kde dir yet, backed it up though. The icons are real nice
in 3, except I don't like the one for Konqueror. Konqueror seems slower to me

Any help on the few probs....

P.S. kfontinstaller seems gone...... is there a new version for kde3?

Brian D. Klar - CVE
OTS
WPAFB