On Tuesday 09 April 2002 18:59, you wrote:
> Acer MB (M25D, I think). After a week or so, and without being certain
> of the exact sequence of events leading up to this, the RPM database
> seems to have become corrupted.
>
>     'rpm -q --all' lists 537 packages, ending with an old
> 'kernel-2.4.3-20mdk', then gets a SEGV and core dumps. Notably, I had
> been trying to 'rpm -e' this package at about the same time that I
> first noticed the corruption. There were more than 537 packages
> installed, as well.
>
>     'rpm --rebuilddb' cranks away for a while, then also gets a SEGV
> and core dumps, leaving about 18 MB of stuff behind in
> /var/lib/rpmrebuilddb.<pid>
>
>     Both errors are repeatable. It's possible that the sequence of
> events leading up to this was something like:
>
>   - Upgrade to 8.2
>   - Install and remove various additional packages (notably, removing
>     some old packages from 8.1 and 8.2 Cookers).
>   - At some point, fill up the partition containing /var/lib, without
>     noticing it.
>   - Attempt to rpm -e kernel-2.4.3-20mdk and kernel-source-2.4.3-20mdk.
>   - Notice RPM DB corruption.
>
>     However, I'm not particularly confident in stating this was the
> actual sequence of events.
>
>     Is this known behavior? Do I have any options other than a clean
> re-install of 8.2? Searching through old archives of the expert list, I
> came across a pointer to Pascal Bourguignon's howto on rebuilding the
> DB:
>
>       http://hermes.afaa.asso.fr/users/pascal/linux/rpm-rebuilddb
>
>     I'm willing to give this a try if there's a good chance of success,
> though I'd first like to hear if anyone else has dealt successfully
> with this problem.

I have had this happen in the past, and to avoid it in the future I do
regular backups of /var/lib/rpm

What I did to fix the problem was the following (found thru lots of trial
and error)

1 - backup /var/lib/rpm --- just to be safe
2 - run 'rpm -qa | sort | less ' -- take a look at the output and see if
there were any "funky" named packages -- packages named with all sorts of
odd symbols
3 - run kpackage to delete the "funky" packages as you will not be able
to do it from the command line
4 - rpm --rebuilddb

and all was ok.

Depending on what you installed before or after your 8.2 upgrade, it
might just be easier to do a clean install.

--
Alex
http://www.qsl.net/kc2ivl