On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 09:06:47PM -0400, A V Flinsch wrote:
> I have had this happen in the past, and to avoid it in the future I do
> regular backups of /var/lib/rpm

    Good idea for future reference, but I think there needs to be some
sort of validation step added prior to backup, or it would be easy to
end up with a useless backup.

> What I did to fix the problem was the following (found thru lots of trial
> and error)
>
> 1 - backup /var/lib/rpm --- just to be safe
> 2 - run 'rpm -qa | sort | less ' -- take a look at the output and see if
> there were any "funky" named packages -- packages named with all sorts of
> odd symbols

    I don't see any oddly named packages, but then rpm -qa is core
dumping, presumably due to the RPM DB corruption and possibly before
finishing the list. Maybe you've been seeing a different sort of DB
corruption.

    Jon