Hi all,

I've just gotten Mandrake 8.2 installed and am generally super excited about
it. Everything looks great so far, except for this one small nagging problem.
So I have a small question about what I believe to be a problem with the
KDEDIRS variable.

Here's the problem. I have compiled and installed some kde applications using
--prefix=/usr/local. After a boot and first login to KDE, some .desktop links
and the menu items which use icons in /usr/local/share/icons show the
"unknown" icon, the question mark. If I logout and log back in, the icons are
fine, they are what they should be.

After researching the problem, I've come to believe it has something to do
with the KDEDIRS variable. I've tried setting it in $HOME/.profile,
$HOME/.bash_profile, /etc/profile and /usr/bin/startkde but it hasn't helped.
After the first login, the variable is properly set if I query it in the
konsole window. KDEDIR (notice no 's') is properly set to /usr.

So maybe there's some other problem. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks!
Robby Stephenson