Just to chime in on this subject...

The AliMagic and VIA based motherboards have "broken" chipsets.

I've spoken to both companies engineers about this issue.

This discussion arose because both chipsets have problems with DMA
overlays when using the BT8xx type TV tuner cards...

The problem is with clock timing (the famous broken clock timer chip!!!)
and DMA xfers. As you push the udma speed the spurious clock pulses
wreak havoc with the memory writes.

The Windows drivers try to make the OS work around the problem...

This may be why people are seeing corruption. Couple this with Civilme's
statement on WD drives and lack of CRC DMA data checking, and it's a
wonder that Linux even runs on these systems.

Turning OFF DMA or reducing UDMA to 33 seems to help with this
problem...

Your milage may vary though...

-JMS