Has he checked his logs to find the source of the crash? I had a web server
that received moderate  traffic that would crash for apparently no reason and
at random times. The server was an AMD 900. after replacing the processor to
an Intel, the server has been running without one incident.  Check kernel
logs to see if you are getting any kernel oops. The AMD problem for me caused
all sorts of problems with fragged files and mysql corruption.

--
Brandon Long